I love pickled fish which is quite an expensive item these days.
This recipe is perfect for my specific health conditions.
With acknowledgements: The Ultimate Diet Solution Cookbook
Nicola Duffield RD (SA) and Anne Till RD (SA)
Published by Struik 2007
8-12 Protein Portions
4-6 x 100g fish fillets
2 large onions, sliced
2 bay leaves
250 ml white vinegar
50 ml water
20 ml sugar
5 ml curry powder
2 ml salt
2 ml turmeric
freshly ground black pepper
4 whole allspice
30 ml chutney
1. Cut fish into pieces
2. In a large pot, combine the onions, bay leaves, vinegar, water, sugar, curry powder, salt, turmeric and pepper.
3. Cover and simmer for about 10 mins.
4. Remove from the heat and add the fish
5. Cover and simmer gently for a further 8-10 minutes until fish is done.
6. Transfer the fish and onions with a slotted spoon to a deep dish.
7. Add the whole allspice and chutney to the sauce in the pot, pour over the fish, cover and refrigerate until required.
The recipe is ideal to make in larger quantities. Freeze in small portions for later use.
Nutritional analysis per portion:
Total fat 1.4g
Saturated fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated fat 0.3g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.6g